Monday, January 6, 2014

Recycling dvds and cds

I had written a post on recycling in which I had put some pictures of recycling dvds. I recieved request for a detailed description of them.  Actually, I had collected a stack of dvds over a period of time.  Any new movie released and the dvd would be with me.  But how many movies do you keep? Most of them were not worth viewing the second time so off they go in trash.  But, why do I throw them away? Can't I do anything with them? Make use?

I am a person who loves to recycle stuff and feel sad at throwing things away.  Recycling also gives me a sense of achievement.


Making crochet hot pads with dvds inside was a huge success for me and I made plenty of these.
But how many do I make? What to do with the rest?  There was nothing as painting over on dvds and using them. So, I experimented with one. No loss, I was throwing them away anyhow. The color refused to stay at one place and would come together.  I figured out, and yes, you need a thick coat of paint over it.

Instructions for painted dvd and cd coasters:

Clean a dvd properly, make sure there is no grease on it.  The paint will not stick properly if the surface is oily.
There are two sides of a dvd or cd. One might have the contents of the disc written on it and the other shiny side. 

                            shiny side                                                non-shiny side                                 
It does not really make any difference which side you paint on but some times the written stuff is visible through the paint so,  I prefer to paint on the shiny side. 

Apply a thick coat of acrylic paint. 

Let the base coat dry. 

Let your imagination run and paint whatever you want to paint.  Experiment with it. You were going to throw it anyway :)




The above set of cds painted with alpana patterns

Experimenting painting flowers

Now, the paint may wears off and gets scratched easily after some time so an acrylic sealer needs to applied.
Spray the painted side liberally with acrylic sealer. 
Take precaution to do this in the open, inhaling the vapors is injurious.
Apply one or two coats more. 
Let your creation dry.

The following step is optional, I personally like to hide the back side.  So, I apply a thick coat of UHU glue and put a backing of matching or contrasting felt. 



Trim off the edges to give a neat outline. 
And, your creative coaster is ready. 

Notes:
You can use this coaster for hot tea or coffee mugs, for wine glass or as a base for a vase.
If, the backing is not applied, it on can be stuck on the wall to brighten a kitchen or bathroom.
Never  put a hot pot or a candle votive over it. The sealer melts. 
You can easily wash them with soap and water.  Do not put it in a dishwasher.

Crocheted dvd and cd coasters:
I crocheted few of these dvds with left over wool.  Well, they are not my creations. Most of the patterns are taken  from http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/. I did bring in some changes.





The advantage I found in these crocheted ones over the painted ones is that they make excellent hot pads on a kitchen counter or on dining table.  The wool casings can with stand heat from the pot and they look pretty on the table.

So, its time to impress your family and friends and get plenty of compliments.

Imagination and creativity have no boundaries so pick up your brush and colors and get started.



9 comments:

  1. Wow! What a wonderful idea of recycling things. It's truly informative . In this fast world of disposing off old things and buying new things, you have nailed the importance of cutting down wastage in the name of cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is great idea to use things we throw away. Way to go

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so cool! I doo not think I've read through
    a single thing like that before. So great to discover someone with unique thoughts
    on this subject. Seriously.. thanks for starting this up.
    This web site is somthing that is required on the internet,
    someone with a little originality!

    Stop by my web-site; tin ceiling panels ()

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for appreciating my work :)
    I searched your website but could not locate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the crocheted one. Will try making

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Renuka for the positive feedback.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is always appreciated.