Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Visiting Colombo

What could have been a better timing to visit Sri Lanka than Vesak? The whole country is illuminated and there is festivity in the air.

Vesak is celebrated to commemorate the birth and nirvana of Gautam Buddha. It is both a religious and a cultural festival. It falls on full moon day in the month of Vesak or Baisakh, the lunar calendar coinciding with sometime in May of the Gregorian calendar. The festivities vary from 3 days to a week.
illuminated temple
lighted streets
The city looks beautiful with lanterns called vesak kodoo. Earlier, earthern lamps were used but gradually over a period of time, these paper or fabric lanterns have taken over.  I see most of them with a plastic covering so as to protect electric bulb from possibility of a short circuit in case there is a rainfall. The lanterns signify an offering to Buddha who delivered the message of Dharma.
lanterns in airport welcome passengers
lanterns in our hotel lobby
An array of lanterns
Beautiful innovative lanterns are made using coir, shells, jute and placed  around the city and attracts flocks of people to see the exhibits.  Competitions are also held and prizes given to the best entry.

Dansala:
Another important activity which takes place during these days is dansala or offering food or drinks to people. The word dansala is taken from the Pali word daan meaning charity or giving.  It is an ancient Buddhist practice of sharing food with everyone.

Not only is food given to people who visit the stall but is shared with all passerby and it is common to see people giving small packets through windows in a taxi. We both got a packet each too :)
dansala offering hot drink
Information regarding dansalas is advertised in newspaper.  I saw this on an online newspaper :

"A rice dansala organised by the Traders Association of the Peliyagoda Central Fish Market Complex, Sri Lanka Fisheries Corporation and Three-Wheeler Drivers Association will be held on May 15 and 16. 

A rice and curry dansela will be held at the Dasa Stores on May 15 from 12 noon to 12 mid night.  

Another vegetable soup dansela which has been organised by the Buddhist circle at Puhudela junction Hiripitiya, will be held on May 15 from 12 noon to 12 pm.  

A rice and curry dansela organised by the Puhdelgahawatta Buddhist Youth Club will be held on May 16 from 12 noon to 12 pm. 

13th May: An ice cream dansala is taking place right now at Sanga Raja Mawatha Colombo 10.

17th May: Academy of Multimedia Design & Technology will host an ice cream dansala at 4 pm at 20 Shrubbery Gardens, Colombo 04.

14th May: A sago dansala will take place on the 14th of May 7 PM - 12 AM at 217 High Level Road Nugegoda between Hotel School and the Louvre International School at Nugegoda."

Pandol or thorana or toran:
Torans are actually gateway or the main entrance.  But, in Sri Lanka numerous Pandols or torans are erected which illustrate a story from Jataka tales which are stories that  tell about the previous lives of Buddha. 
A Pandol on Galle sea face
The Pandol are illuminated after dark. 
picture of Pandol taken from train 
 Many people get together for bhakti gee or devotional Buddhist songs.
a group singing Bhakti gee
On the last day of festivities, we went to Gangaramaya Buddhist temple in Colombo.

Gangaramaya Buddhist temple:
This beautiful temple located close to Briera lake, in addition to being a place of worship, also houses a Buddhist school, a library, a museum which has many expensive gifts donated by devotees.
decorated elephant                    Dancers ready for procession              entrance to temple

Inside the temple, there are many huge statues of Lord Buddha. I have pasted some pictures below. 



Hair relic in the central glass dome with golden top
This temple has a hair relic which is only displayed on important days.

procession concluding Vesak
Its been ten days past Vesak, occassional lanterns and flags can still be seen hanging.  One year to go for the return of this lively festival.

I enjoyed looking at the golden peaceful posture of Buddha from my hotel window everyday.
Huge sitting Buddha in Sri Sambuddhaloka Vihara Buddhist Temple

Sri Sambuddhaloka Vihara Buddhist Temple
This temple is situated next to the huge Buddha statue and also has a library inside.
Independence Monument

close-up 

Independence Memorial Hall
In between the two lions, you see a door which leads to memorial museum situated in the basement.
Briera lake and top of Sri Sambuddhaloka Vihara Buddhist Temple

How can I conclude this post on Sri Lanka without any mention of Kola Kenda and hoppers?
healthy porridge to start your day
Kola kenda is porridge or soup which is taken for breakfast. The extreact of herbs is added to cooked mashed rice along with coconut milk.  This is usually taken with a piece of palm sugar called kithul.  In fact, there are varieties of herbs which can be used to make this healthy drink.  Welpenela, the write up of which you see in the picture above is also one of the herbs often used in making kola kenda. It is commonly called balloon vine.  I have pasted some pictures of herbs which I took from the vegetable section  in a supermarket. To avoid this labor intensive work, and till I find a shorter way to it,  I got a few packets of this drink in powder form.
I made a version of this using fresh spinach leaves paste.
some herbs used in kola kenda

Freshly made hoppers
Hoppers? I dont need to give any introduction to this dish.
stews for hoppers
They are usually eaten with a stew and a spicy chutney called  sambal. I also tasted the egg hopper where an egg is placed on to the hopper while it is cooking.  A perfect combination for a healthy breakfast.
But more than anything I immensely enjoyed honey hoppers. The batter had a taste of cardamom and the drizzle of honey gave it an awesome taste. Oh drooling.......
spicy and sweet sambals
A walk along the sea is always welcome and refreshing though it was very humid when we went.  It was waiting for monsoons to hit.  On weekends, this place is thronged by  people of all ages.
enjoying the weekend
snack time
kites soaring high !
Negombo is around 37 kms from Colombo and is one of the major cities in Sri Lanka.
sun set at Negombo beach

another click of sunset at Negombo beach
My holiday soon came to an end and with these beautiful memories, I return home. But, not without adding to my weight. I have put on 2 kgs and now I plan to get back to my routine and stop myself from indulging on any of those goodies :(


19 comments:

  1. The kites look awesome, was it the time of kite festival ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, the kites fly everyday especially more on weekends.

      Delete
  2. First time when I saw it at my friend's place I said "oh its like a crepe" No its HOPPERS she was annoyed , after trying it I have never called it by any other name than HOPPERS
    Its unique and versatile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the batter is made of rice flour and coconut water. It is then fermented. They are crisp with a soft center. There are special hopper making pans also.
      yes, they are too good.

      Delete
  3. yes hoppers it is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wait eagerly for your blag especially the one .while i was reading i felt myself with you going around sruti

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent pieces. Keep posting such kind of information on your page.

    Im really impressed by your site.
    Hi there, You have done an incredible job. I'll definitely
    digg it and in my view recommend to my friends. I'm sure they will be benefited from this web site.


    Feel free to visit my web-site ... interesting read

    ReplyDelete
  8. Highly energetic article, I liked that a lot. Will there be a part 2?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I simply want to give you a big thumbs up for the excellent information you have
    got right here on this post. I will be returning to your blog for more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything is very open with a very clear explanation of the issues.
    It was definitely informative. Your website is very useful.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks very nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you very much for the information of
    the post I have found it interesting for my blog, I hope I can apply, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My brother recommended I would possibly like this
    website. He was once entirely right. This post actually made my
    day. You can not imagine just how so much time I had spent for this
    info! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing your info. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further post thank you once
    again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thankfulness to my father who told me on the topic
    of this blog, this web site is in fact remarkable.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is always appreciated.