Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Pista-elaichi Kulfi

Kulfi is an Indian sub-continent frozen milk dessert made by reducing full fat milk till it is thick and creamy. It is then sweetened and flavored usually with pistachios and cardamom or saffron, almonds and pistachios or rose water. The flavors are endless. I happened to eat jackfruit and coconut kulfi some time back. It was a different flavor but not something which I would like to make.

There are a few differences which I find between an ice cream and kulfi. Since, kulfi is made with full fat milk, there is no need to add cream.  The milk is thick and dense, it freezes into a smooth soft texture. Ice creams not only need to be aired but some thickening agent needs to be added.  Lastly, one advantage I find kulfi has over ice cream is that I can re-freeze melted kulfi and it gives me the same outcome, both in taste and consistency.  Ice creams once melted go waste, you cannot freeze them again.

The recipe which I am writing below uses both evaporated and condensed milk.  Since, my evaporated milk is not full fat, I need to add whipping cream but sadly I did not have whipping cream at home so made use of malai.

Ingredients for basic mixture:
1 can (12 fl.oz) evaporated milk
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1- 1 1/2 cup of whipping cream or malai

for flavoring:
15 pistachios
3/4 tsp cardamom powder

Method:
Take a pan and empty the evaporated milk and sweetened condensed milk.  Sweetness depends on your taste. I usually go with not more than 3/4 of the can but I have also added the whole can depending on how sweet my guests might like it. 
Mix both types of milk well.

I did not have whipping cream so, substituted cream malai which is the cream removed from top of boiled raw milk.  I decided to sieve it so that the kulfi does not have lumps of cream.  I also added the left over milk solids to milk mixture. This way, it became a homogeneous mass and gave an impression of reducing the milk by boiling :)
If, you are using cream, then whip it lightly and fold in the milk mixture. Do not over beat or it would turn into butter!
Cream gives a smooth texture to kulfi. You can put 1/2 cup more for a creamier kulfi but do not exceed or else the kulfi tastes only of cream.
This is the basic kulfi mixture.
To the basic kulfi mixture, add flavorings of your choice and enjoy a large variety.
For pista-elaichi, I would suggest, not adding pistachio powder but adding pounded ones. The kulfi looks pretty with green specks in between.
Add cardamom powder and pistachios to the pan. Give it a good stir.
Kulfi molds given by my MIL, I treasure them.  The material is so good and the caps fit in perfectly !  I bought a few some time back and either the caps would not fit in properly mess up the whole work.
Fill in the molds, just leaving enough space for the kulfi to expand on freezing.
Put them in the freezer to set.
For removing the kulfi from molds:
Dip the mold in water to losen the sides and remove with a butter knife.

Slide on to a serving dish.....
garnish with chopped pistachios.
Enjoy before it melts :)

My Notes:
If you do not have kulfi molds, dont worry. Put the mixture into a glass ware, cover it tightly with an aluminium foil and freeze. The purpose is to freeze kulfi quickly without giving it time to develop crystals.
You can use any aluminium container also but make sure to cover it.
Chill the cream and also the beater before beating.

5 comments:

  1. After I have used the base material will putting it in ice cream maker give the same effect
    also how do I make one with rose petals and smelled of rose , I had it when travelling to India

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shall get a better result :)
    For rose flavored kulfi, add a little bit of rose water or essence. Add dried or fresh red rose petals along with liquid and freeze. At the time of serving, sprinkle one or two rose petals on top or a little bit of Rooh Afzaa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for appreciating my blog. shall definitely visit your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is always appreciated.