Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Aipan, the folk art of Uttarakhand


Finally the day has come I had been waiting so long. A thought once crossed my mind when a friend asked me if I had a blog.  A blog? what do I do with it? I had pushed the thought to the back of my mind for quite sometime and but then took a renewed interest.  Whenever I would think of it something or the other would turn up and everything kept on getting delayed.  This time, I said nothing doing, I am getting it done.  The Navratris incited me to start my blog before they ended.  "What do you plan to do with your blog?" my husband asked. Oh, there is so much to learn, share and not to forget talk ! 

How do I start my blog? What do I write on it?
Then I saw the wooden plaque on the left.  That would be perfect with Navratris, a tribute to the Devi. So here I start my blog with the blessings of Goddess Durga for a venture I have never undertaken before. 
                                                                        
What is an Aipan? My friend asked me once and I know most of you would also ask the same.  What's so special about this art?

Aipan is a traditional art form from the region of Uttarakhand. It is basically alpana or rangoli made from Red Ochre or gheru, the earthy red color which is used to paint flower pots.  Geru is the base color and once it dries up, patterns are made with raw rice paste using the tips of middle, ring and pinky finger all held together. The drawings are made free hand dipping the fingers in paste off and on.  Every geometric pattern is related to a god or goddess with flowers and religious symbols as a Swastik or a Trishul. It is a very important part in any Kumaoni ritualistic occasion, may it be a wedding, child birth, child naming ceremony, festivals, janeu (the thread ceremony).  Every house in Kumaon welcomes you with an aipan on doorsteps.  I as a child remember putting dots around the patterns which my mother made because that was the only thing I could do!

My MIL is very particular about making them at every festival possible.  She has tried the stickers but still makes them herself at places or around the stickers to enhance them.

I asked my daughter once, why dont you learn this art? Mamma, we get stickers now, why learn all this? she responded. Stickers are so very easily available, they save time and also the hassle of drawing them. Moreover, they stay for a long time.The stickers no doubt are the easy way out but I feel sad that the art may die an early death.

I, of course have painted all with acrylic colors. The above plaque and the wall hanging below are called Asthadhal Kamal, meaning eight-petaled lotus and  symbolize the Goddess.

my wall hanging
              Asthdhal Kamal                              Vishnu Peeth                               Lakshmi Peeth
My favorite Shiv-Shakti Peeth

Though, efforts are being undertaken by the people in Uttarakhand to teach the young generation this art, and competitions are held to preserve this art, I only hope the tradition lives for many generations to come.

16 comments:

  1. it was great knowing about the art

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://uttarakhand-times.blogspot.in/2011/12/aipan.html

    Way to go

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent- good work

    ReplyDelete
  4. fascinating! great cultural input

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hailing from Uttarakhand, I really appreciate your effort to revive our dying art of aipan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you all the success for taking so much pains to revive the dying art

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is always appreciated.