Thursday, April 7, 2022

Chiang Rai, Thailand

We had been to Chiang Mai earlier and this time we planned on going to Chiang Rai. When I look back, I realise that four days were too less. There have been so many places that we wanted to visit but had to decide on our bucketlist.

Welcome to Chiang Rai

Old Clock tower:
Sadly, looking at the old clock tower gave me a similarity of new generation taking over the older generation.
Now situated at a T-junction of Uttarakit Road and Suk Sathit Road, the white clock stands with a Rotary club logo on one side and Kodak on the other side.
Before I visited Chiang Rai, on looking for directions, I always assumed that it would be from the old clock tower since it had been installed much ealier. But, on reaching the place, I realised all my directions were from the new Golden Clock tower not the old one.

Old clock tower
This clock was the earliest clock tower in Chiang Rai and was standing where the new clock tower stands now.
In 2006, Chaloem Chai Kositpipat, who designed the White Temple, planned the Golden Clock Tower on the crossing of Banpha Prakan Road, Suk Sathit Road and Chet Yod Road resulting in relocation of the old clock tower.

Golden clock tower:
Golden clock tower
It is a matter of choice, some people might get awed seeing all golden clock tower. Maybe, I had some other picture on my mind so when I saw it, I thought, oh, is this the one everyone's been talking about?
The construction definitely must have cost a lot but to me it looked overdone.
The lamp post on this road seem to match the pattern of this clock tower.


My husband was in no mood to to witness the sound and light show that is supposed to be one of the highlights of Chiang Rai now. I wanted to see so that I don't regret it later. The clock chimes everyday at 7 PM, 8 PM, and 9 PM.

I do not know, why I had thought it to be a sort of laser show but the lights which fall on the clock tower change colors from blue to red to yellow. The video above shall give some idea of what it is. I tried to merge two-three videos together.
In my honest opinion, I would say if you have time and are having quick bites around the corner, it is not a bad idea to see it once.
We went during the covid times, so the place was not that crowded but I believe it gets crowded with traffic coming from all sides around the roundabout.

Later, after the clock chimes are over, a Thai music plays.

Annual Flower festival at Chiangrai Tung and Khom Park:
If you are a lover of flowers, then this is the place you should not miss visiting. The entry is free and one can stroll between the flower beds.


flowers in full bloom


Each flower has a sign with its scientific name and a Thai name
canopy of orchids
The flower show is held every year between late November and extends to February

King Mengrai Monument:
King Mengrai (1262-1311) was the founder of Lanna Kingdom and is held at high esteem by the people. They come here to pay respects, offer flowers, burns joss sticks and also offer food.

The King's statue has three large golden tungs (Lanna flags) behind him.
King's silhouette at dusk
city wall
Places to relax and eat:
There are ample cafe's and eating places in Chaing Rai. My husband's favorite relaxing place was the milk bar by Thai-Denmark, very close to Wat Ming Mueang.  It suited us both, he relaxed with a cup of coffee and I used to walk across to the wat.


We had Khao Soi the previous day, was so hungry that forgot to take a picture. The next day we decided to have chicken topped with crispy noodles.
we were amused by "Starbears", though thorougly enjoyed the tender coconut with its water.
As dusk approached, we saw plenty of birds flying in the sky. My first reaction was of bats but after hovering for some time they all settled on the electric wire on roadside.

Jerdon's Bushchat or brown strike
bidding goodbye to Chiang Rai

Rules which need to followed when visiting a temple or a wat:
Like all temples, certain decorum needs to be adhered, though I have observed many tourists flouting the rules.
  • the dress worn should be below your knees and the shoulders covered
  • shoes need to be taken off when entering the place where the image of Buddha is kept
  • hugging and kissing inside the wat is not permitted
  • drinking and smoking not permitted in the temple complex
  • when sitting in inside the chapel, feet should never point towards the image


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is always appreciated.