Thursday, February 6, 2014

Mishti doi

My husband loves Bengali sweets and mishti doi is one of his favorites.  I try to make a low fat version. Of course, full fat is more creamier and tastier. I always think of Annapoorna in Delhi while making mishti doi.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup or whole 1 (12 fl. oz) can evaporated milk, not fat free
3/4 cup or 1 whole can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup yogurt
1 tsp palm sugar
caramel syrup

Method:
In a bowl, add evaporated unsweetened milk, yogurt, sweetened condensed milk. I like my dohi not too sweet so add just 3/4 of the can. If, you like it more sweet, add the whole can.
Blend them together.  Add palm sugar, a tablespoon of caramel syrup to give a rich brown color.
Sieve and transfer to a oven safe container, cover with aluminium foil and bake for 45 minutes at gas mark 1/2 or 200 degree F or 110 degree C.

Remove aluminium foil and leave the container in oven till cool.
Refrigerate and serve cold.

My Notes:
If, using a terracotta container, let it steep in water for half an hour and add 1/2 cup of milk to the mixture.
If you like mishti doi a little dry then omit adding milk.
Do not use fat free evaporated milk.
My friend A, steams it till the mixture sets in.  She also suggests adding sour cream to make it more rich.

4 comments:

  1. i wish my wife would make this for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me of my childhood days in calcutta

    ReplyDelete
  3. my wife learnt from this blog and did- it was great

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is always appreciated.