Thursday, February 13, 2014

No fry masala vadas

While, making guilt free and low fat vadas, I was tempted to try my hand at making masala vadas.
The fried crispy vadas are irresistible but then while eating, you are always counting the number of calories.
Paniyaram pan has become a dear friend to me, coming to my rescue for any low fat frying I want to do. There needs a lot of experimentation with that.
Ingredients:
1/2 measure batter no fry dahi baras

To be mixed to batter:
1/2 onion, finely chopped
4-5 peppercorns, cracked
1/2 tsp crushed coriander seeds
2 green chillies, finely chopped
2 tbsp. green coriander leaves
1 tbsp grated ginger
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
4-5 curry leaves, shredded
salt to taste

Method:
Beat the batter till light and fluffy.
Add ingredients listed under " To be mixed to batter".
Beat the batter and mix it well.
Heat paniyaram chatti, grease it a little and pour a spoonful of batter.  The batter will rise after some time and you would see bubbles on the top.
Wait and check to see if the underside is cooked.  You would see brown specks underneath.
Flip and cook the other side.
Enjoy no fry baras !!

My notes:
Airing or beating the batter is very important.
I do not add baking soda to the batter, if you want, then just add a pinch of it.
Experiment adding sambhar powder, pao bhaji masala to batter.

5 comments:

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is always appreciated.