Saturday, June 20, 2015

Achaari mathri

I can never get over the flavor of achari mathris of Kaleva in New Delhi. My stock was nearing to an end and I tried my best to replicate the produce.  Not having to accept defeat, I broke open one mathri and started writing all the flavors that hit me. 

I made few additions on it and came with something close to the flavor I wanted. Give it a try and I am sure you would find it impossible to resist the temptation of not having more.


Ingredients:
2 cups plain white flour
1/2 cup sooji /semolina
1 1/2  tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
4 tbsp ghee or oil
2 tbsp mustard oil
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp sour pomegranate seeds (anardana)
1 tsp carom seeds /ajwain
1/2 tsp fennel seed powder/ saunf
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tbsp crushed coriander seeds /sabut dhaniya
1 tbsp crushed black peppercorns
a pinch of asafoetida
½ tbsp chilli or mango pickle

Method:
Put all the dry ingredients and mix together.



Add 6 tbsp of oil ( 4 tbsp ghee or oil plus 2 tbsp mustard oil).
Add lemon juice in water.


And make a stiff dough with warm water.  Let the dough rest for 20 minutes.



Roll and make mathris.  You can see the detailed method of making mathris from my earlier post on  Methi masala mathri.


Take the mathris put them on an absorbant paper.
Store them in an air tight container.

My Notes:
Do not skip adding raw mustard oil.
If you do not have any pickle at hand, increase the amount of lemon juice to 1 1/2 tbsp.


2 comments:

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is always appreciated.