Friday, January 30, 2015

Masala onion murukku

My 50th post today ! It feels like just some time back that I started to blog. There are so many issues on my head and whatever I feel like sharing with you all, I write. For hitting my half century, I thought of posting some thing sweet.  My friend said she wanted some savoury so here are masala onion murukkus.



Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour or maida

To be added to flour after steaming:
1 cup rice flour
2 tbsp butter or hot oil
hing or asafoetida
1/2 tsp jeera
20 peppercorns, crushed
1 tsp black sesame seeds
hot water to knead
1 medium sized onion grated or made into a paste
1 tsp green chilli paste
1/2 tsp red chilli powder, optional

Method:
Put all purpose flour or maida in a cloth.  Steam it for 10 minutes. Do not let the cloth touch water.


Remove the steamed flour.  It would have formed into a lump.


 Let it cool completely. Break it into pieces.


Sieve the cooled steamed flour. Add rice powder to this flour.


Add salt to taste, cracked black pepper, cumin seeds, sesame seeds, hing or asafoetida.


I grind onions and green peppers together into a paste.
Add onion paste, add and some hot water to make into a soft pliable dough. My green peppers were hot so I skipped adding red chilli powder. Taste your peppers before adding them.


The onion paste has some amount of water so add hot water a little at a time.
Do not add too much water or it will become sticky.


Oil the inside of murukku maker, fill with dough. I used a star shaped disc.


I am not confident on making these murukkus directly on oil so, I make them first on a plastic sheet.
Start with a point and start piping in a spiral manner. 



When the required numbers are made and the oil moderately hot....


Lift the plastic sheet with one hand and slide it on to the fingers of other hand. 


Quickly put them in hot oil.


Cook till golden brown in color.



Put on absorbant paper and store in an air tight container when cool.

Enjoy crisp onion flavored murukkus with tea or coffee :)


2 comments:

  1. thanks for teaching how to make them
    I love murukkus but ones I get from the shop are not as tasty as my sister makes , I think she makes it the way you do , I know her secret now !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure your sister makes them much better :) thanks

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is always appreciated.