Friday, February 6, 2015

Spicy ginger syrup

It has been a long time since I posted any recipe. I was busy writing my travelogues. Side by side there were many pending craft and art work to finish.
My ginger syrup was about to finish so I thought of making some more.


This time I planned of adding some zing to my syrup. I added hot red chilies! yes, red diced chilies along with peppercorns. Try it and I am sure you are going to be hooked to it.

Ingredients:
2 cups water
3 cups sugar
2 1/2 tbsp crushed ginger
2 thai birds eye chilies
25 cracked peppercorns
2 stalk lemongrass
3 lime, more if you like your syrup sour

Method:


Assemble the things needed.



Scrape the ginger and then either grate it or cut into small pieces. I feel grating is better, it takes out the juices.


Now, in a pan, put the sugar, water, crushed red chilli, cracked black pepper, grated ginger, and battered or diced lemongrass. Skip lemongrass if you don't have one.


Bring the syrup to a boil and then lower the heat to let the syrup boil gently.


Let it boil for around 10 minutes. It would start giving a pleasant smell. Turn down the heat and let it cool.


I prefer to use glass bottles instead of the plastic ones. Somehow, I feel that putting anything acidic in a plastic bottle is not good. This is my vinegar bottle which I recycle. I am in the habit of labelling everything in my house :)

Squeeze out lime juice. The amount of juice depends on the quality and size of lime. If you like your syrup on the sour side, add more.



After the syrup has cooled, either strain or transfer to the bottle. I like to see red chilli pieces in my drink. Wow, the spicy lemon-ginger syrup is ready to use.

How to make a drink:
In a glass, add some ice cubes or crushed ice. Add 2-3 tbsp of syrup. Top with cold water or soda water. Taste and add more syrup if desired.



Variations:
  • Add a tbsp of vodka or gin to a glass, some crushed ice, and the prepared ginger chilli syrup. Add water or soda and around 10 drops of bitters. Add more vodka if you like your drink stronger.
  • Add the syrup to a cup of hot water and drink to relieve cold.
  • Add to green tea and have it cold or hot.



5 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right , I only had it with lemon and ginger , but this is great !
    oh the place mat : are they beads ? it looks pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coaster has shells around. I am sure you will enjoy the drink.

      Delete
  2. Sounds delicious. Must ask my wife to make it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is always appreciated.