Friday, May 1, 2015

Nepal earthquake


We have just returned back safe after the Nepal earthquake which shook not only the whole country but also had parts of North India under its spate. My heart bleeds as I write this for the gentle people who have not only lost their homes but also a majority of their famous and beautiful temples which were part of their heritage and also major  tourist attractions. I am not enjoying writing this post, my purpose is to show some pictures which would give a glimpse of the devastation caused by the 1 minute earthquake of 7.9 that struck around 11.45 am on 25th April 2015.

Nepal observes a holiday on Saturday. I wanted to go to Basantpur Durbar square. I had been there earlier last year but there were few places which I had skipped last time. My husband said he wanted to finish some work and I agreed on going out alone the next day. When I look back, I think that is what saved my life that day. He was on work there so we had a relaxed breakfast, came back to the room which was on the sixth floor and started checking emails. Suddenly, a slight tremor and we realized it was an earthquake. By the time we got up, the intensity became so great that it was impossible to move. Things started falling all around the room, I looked down from the window and saw people running out. It was impossible to even stand at that moment, the whole building was shaking so much. We knew the best thing to do in such a situation is to run out of the room, but running out at the time involved risk of getting hurt from things falling all around us.

When the tremor subsided, we went out of the room. A part of the ceiling had fallen on the corridor.




I looked up to see a gaping hole in the ceiling. We ran down the stairs as taking a lift at this time would not have been advisable.

cracks on the roof
By the time we reached downstairs people were all gathered together, some in panic, some in utter shock.

another crack on the wall
The hotel staff evacuated all the guests from building. I am not endorsing the hotel nor am I getting paid to compliment them on their efficiency in handling a situation like this. The way they managed everything is indeed commendable.

guests in the tennis court
By lunch time everyone had started getting hungry and thirsty. The hotel supplied all food and drinks, it looked as if whatever was in the hotel pantry was served to us. Late afternoon, towels and blankets appeared to cover ourselves, as it had started getting chilly.

hotel staff and guests all on the hotel grounds
There were after shocks, so by the time one thought of lying down on the ground, a fresh round of tremors would be felt making you sit upright. The after shock and tremors kept everyone taut.

find a place for yourself !
We collected in the hotel lounge, dinner was served and soon everyone had spread their sheets on the floor, for this is where everyone was going to spend the night. Soon a fresh tremor drove everyone out of the building again.

night shelter
This is where we spent our night in the tennis court.

sleeping under a temporary shelter
My husband's office made arrangements for emergency evacuation so we packed our belongings and proceeded to the airport next day.

tents pitched by the roadside
Golf course turns into a relief camp
collapsed building
stranded passengers outside the airport

outside the airport

confusion inside the airport

dislodged tiles at the airport

waiting for boarding announcements

a fresh tremor makes everyone run out into the tarmac

Indian Air Force plane comes in with supplies
Indian army and vehicles
Indian soldiers with relief supplies
Air lifting stranded passengers back home
press reporters arriving in Kathmandu
passengers waiting on tarmac for their flights!
pitching tents in the open
The aerial view, which I took from aircraft as we flew out, shows tents pitched everywhere in open ground. People were very afraid of going back to their houses. I just heard from my friend there that after 5 days they have  gathered some courage to go back to their houses.

Thai airways handed all passengers landing at Bangkok a small food package and a bottle of water.


The number of casualties seem to be increasing everyday. At the time I write this, the number is said to cross 5,500. This does not include those who have lost all their life's earnings. It is going to take a very long time to resume normal life in Nepal.






3 comments:

  1. i weep for Nepal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunate! I'm told by my contacts in Nepal that in several districts most villages have been wiped out! I'm sure that with the hard work of people and sincere efforts and commitment of the leadership; Nepal will soon be back to normalcy and better than the expectations of people and visitors Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray for people Nepal to give them courage to get over the crises. The Indians reaching out to help its neighbor is commendable

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your feedback is always appreciated.